Monday, January 01, 2007

Another year. Mixed feelings as always. Thoughts of all the things I'd like to do, but didn't. Some through indolence, some through self-indulgence (too much hard work), others through not realising what it was I wanted. I'm not sure that resolutions help. I was asked what I wanted to do next year at work. I said work better. No this isn't about working more, but achieving more.
I'd like to read better certainly. Not just read better books, though that's always a good aim. And what constitutes a good book, and what doesn't is subjective. But I mean more that my act of reading shoud be better done, not that I read better books. I love all sorts of books, they feed and nourish all sorts of different appetites that I have. Fantasy, crime, literary fiction, children's even chick-lit (though not much of a thriller reader).
How do I do this? Read less passively? Or just think while I'm doing it?
Anyway, resolutions for the year:
  • Listen to more music.
  • Go to more gigs.
  • Spend less, enjoy more.
  • Be less self-absorbed.
  • Read better
  • Live better.

all getting a bit vague isn't it? What does it mean to want to live better? That I want my life to be better? The unexamined life is not worth living. Oft-quoted (mis-quoted?). But it is the hub really of so much.

1 comment:

Susan Harwood and Lucy Corrander said...

Dear Not so very Idle Reader

I am taking a look through the people who have, like me, said they have an interest in children's fiction on their blogger profile.

I wondered if you might like to take a look at my own blog?

It is an illustrated adventure story for children with an episode every day for August.

You can find it at

http://bricksinthecave.blogspot.com/

Looking at the date of your own last entry, it may well be that you have stopped blogging for a bit and may not find this comment in time. But . . . jut in case . . . I hope you do!

Susan Harwood